Friday, 11 September 2009

Linux screen flicker Radeon X1200 Series

This is a public service announcement.

If you have an ATI Radeon Xnnnn graphics card, I suggest that update to the latest (at the time of writing) version 2.6.31 of the Linux kernel and you won't get dodgy screen flicker when viewing mostly black/grey content any more.

Again, at the time of writing, Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) comes with this kernel version off the shelf and will be properly released in about a month from now.

Commended to the house.

For details of which of the Xnnnn graphics cards have improved support, look here.

FWIW, my device is:lspci | grep Radeon
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc \
RS690M [Radeon X1200 Series]

That is all.

1 comment:

Dev said...

I have an x1200 Radeon too and I get blacking out of my screen every once in a while. Have you ever had this problem?